Payroll Giving, which is also known as Give As You Earn and Workplace Giving, allows PAYE employees to make tax-free donations to any charity they wish.
Some facts and figures about the UK’s Payroll Giving Scheme:
- In 2011-2012 735,000 employees gave over £118 million pounds through the scheme.
- The average monthly donation is now £13.38, an increase from £13.19 on the previous year.
- The scheme was launched in 1987, the Association of Payroll Giving Organisations celebrated the anniversary by delivering a giant card to 10 Downing Street
- Over £1.2 billion has been raised since the scheme began, with nearly 30% of this being income that would otherwise have been paid in taxes.
- The new Platinum Quality Award Mark was launched in April 2012; over forty businesses have this year been presented the accolade.